Friday 29 August 2008

Operation Mindcrime

Not only the name of a good concept album from Queensryche, but also what happens to so many of us on a daily basis. We let our minds get filled up with garbage, lies, jealousies and the like, rather than the truths of God's word to us. I have been going through a tough time in my head recently, culminating in a bit of pointless self pity this morning. I then somewhat reluctantly picked up my bible reading notes and read today's passage. The first two verses of which just struck me.

Romans 12: 1b-2

(Good News Bible)

Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to his service and pleasing to him. This is the true worship that you should offer. Do not conform to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God - what is good and is pleasing to him and is perfect.

(Message Bible)

Take your everyday, ordinary life - your sleeping, eating, going to work, and walking around life - and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognise what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to it's level of immaturity. God brings the best out of you, develops well formed maturity in you.

This is what I need to do on all levels to stop the mindcrime going on in my head. This does not mean that I should shun the culture around me, or people who do not share my faith. What it means to me is that I should concentrate on God's promises and make time for him to fill my mind completely with whatever his plan is for me. I should be involved in today's culture, but should also be able to stand out within it, by being a man of God. I can not be a good witness if there is no obvious difference between me and the next man. I need to allow God to win the Operation Mindcrime on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment