Friday 15 May 2009

Hungry Heart

If I remember rightly this Bruce Springsteen track was on The River album from about 1980/81. That album in my opinion is full of hard hitting socially aware lyrics, complimented by awesome musicianship by the E Street Band.

This song speaks of the emptiness of a hungry heart. Most peoples ideal when growing up, is to have a good marriage with children, but as the song intimates, it does not always end up this way. Sometimes you can reach the stage, when just jumping in the car and driving anywhere else, seems to be the best solution. I remember once when our eldest boy was still a baby, I had had care of him all day, and he just did not seem to have stopped crying. When my wife got home from work, I just passed him over, got in the car and drove for hours, not really knowing where. Though I did know that I would end up home again a few hours later, when the stress had more or less passed. It was not until that point that I realised why some people could just do the no going back thing. There is also the hungry heart seeking solace in the bottle of beer or spirits, and the casual pick up in the bars or clubs. I have never been there myself, but again I can see how it can happen.

I know that it is a cliche, but everyone has a God shaped hole in their heart, and can only be whole totally when God is allowed to fill that hole. God has always wanted the best for His people, though we often can not, or will not, see this.

Growing up I could not really see myself as married, or with children, despite what I said earlier about most peoples aspirations. God in His goodness has given me both, and I feel so much better for it. It is my opinion though, that if He had not done so, my life would have still been ok, if I allowed my hungry heart to be filled by Him. We all yearn for a place to rest, a place to call home, and not to be alone. God provides all three, and yes some people may be single in a human relationship basis, but with God to fill the hungry heart they are not alone in the true sense of the word.

Hungry Heart

Got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack
I went out for a ride and I never went back
Like a river that don't know where it's flowing
I took a wrong turn and I just kept going

CHORUS

Everybody's got a hungry heart
Everybody's got a hungry heart
Lay down your money and you play your part
Everybody's got a hungry heart

I met her in a Kingstown bar
We fell in love I knew it had to end
We took what we had and we ripped it apart
Now here I am down in Kingstown again

CHORUS

Everybody needs a place to rest
Everybody wants to have a home
Don't make no difference what nobody says
Ain't nobody like to be alone

CHORUS

This version was performed life in Toronto in 1984 and feature the original and best line up of the E Street Band.


Got a wife and kids in Baltimore, Jack
I went out for a ride and I never went back
Like a river that don't know where it's flowing
I took a wrong turn and I just kept going

CHORUS
Everybody's got a hungry heart
Everybody's got a hungry heart
Lay down your money and you play your part
Everybody's got a hungry heart

I met her in a Kingstown bar
We fell in love I knew it had to end
We took what we had and we ripped it apart
Now here I am down in Kingstown again

CHORUS

Everybody needs a place to rest
Everybody wants to have a home
Don't make no difference what nobody says
Ain't nobody like to be alone

CHORUS

This version was performed live in 1984 in Toront, and features the best and original line up of the E Street Band.

No comments:

Post a Comment