Tuesday 10 November 2009

Take The Long Way Home

This song by Supertramp has been buzzing round my head for a few weeks now. I know that there is no obvious connection between Christianity and the lyrics, but the title and some of the words are hitting at me from a different direction.

There are times when I feel that I am taking the long way home. Home in this instance referring to being in the presence of God. I know where home is, and I know the way to get there. So why do I so often wonder off in totally the wrong direction? I know that when I am at home, that things will feel safer and better. I am not saying that being in a living relationship with God is a cure for suffering and hardship, it's a long way from that. What I am saying though, is that being in the presence of God, and living life His way, is a whole lot easier than trying to do it my way.

The song sort of refers to this in the first verse. Lines about how when things are going well, and when you are popular, life seems to be no effort and all your own achievements. It is when we think like this we are taking the long way home.

When we take family and friends for granted, and assume that they will fall into whatever our plans are, we are taking the long way home.

When we get seduced by the city lights and all that they entail, we are taking the long way home.

When we are acting out our lives, by pretending to be different people in different situations, we are taking the long way home.

When it is all over and we have ignored what God has wanted us to do, we haven't taken the long way home, we have taken the wrong way home, and will not be where we want to be.

I have often been challenged by God by the words of secular songs, and this has really got me thinking. I want to be home, and not be taking the long way there. I hope to see you there.

Take The Long Way Home

So you think you're a Romeo
playing a part in a picture-show
Take the long way home
Take the long way home

Cos you're the joke of the neighborhood
Why should you care if you're feeling good
Take the long way home
Take the long way home

But there are times that you feel you're part of the scenery
all the greenery is comin' down, boy
And then your wife seems to think you're part of the
furniture oh, it's peculiar, she used to be so nice.

When lonely days turn to lonely nights
you take a trip to the city lights
And take the long way home
Take the long way home

You never see what you want to see
Forever playing to the gallery
You take the long way home
Take the long way home

And when you're up on the stage, it's so unbelievable,
unforgettable, how they adore you,
But then your wife seems to think you're losing your sanity,
oh, calamity, is there no way out?

Does it feel that you life's become a catastrophe?
Oh, it has to be for you to grow, boy.
When you look through the years and see what you could
have been oh, what might have been,
if you'd had more time.

So, when the day comes to settle down,
Who's to blame if you're not around?
You took the long way home
You took the long way home...........

The clip below is Roger Hodgson, who wrote the song and co-founded the band, performing it in Montreal in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment