Tuesday 1 December 2009

Tranquillity Base

I'm a firm believer that we all have a place on this earth which could be called our tranquillity base. For some it is just a place to feel at ease and escape from the rat race. For others it may be a place where for whatever reason they feel more connected to god. For lets face it, it is God who provides us with the tranquillity if only we let Him.

For me, the place where I more often than not, feel the most at ease, is on the top of Panorama Hill just outside Barmouth. It is not the tallest hill there by any means, but has this great view up the Mawddach Estuary one way with the slopes of southern Snowdonia going up each side, including the peak of Cader Idris. The other way is a sweeping view of the estuary mouth into Cardigan Bay, and the sands of Fairbourne.

I don't know why but for the last twenty years this place has held special memories for me. Sometimes of walks with the family, but more often of times of solitude. I have sat up there for a couple of hours once, and not seen another person, with just the sound of the birds and the wind for company. It is times like this, that I often feel close to, and hear from God.

Using my tranquillity base and the river analogy, God is the river. The river is deep, and it touches my life like the river touches the sand, ie God washes all over me. When I need to loose the frown on my face, I need to go back to my boat on the river, ie back into the presence of God. In reality, although having a tranquillity base is good, we can encounter the life giving water of God wherever we are, whenever we cry out to Him for it.

The words below are from the Styx song Boat On The River. The clip is taken from a concert in Budokan in 1982. A rarity in that Tommy Shaw has short hair. Also features the late great John Panozzo on percussion.

Take me down to my boat on the river
I need to go down, I need to come down
Take me back to my boat on the river
And I won't cry out any more
Time stands still as I gaze In her waters
She eases me down, touching me gently
With the waters that flow past my boat on the river
So I won't cry out anymore

Oh the river is deep
The river it touches my life like the waves on the sand
And all roads lead to Tranquillity Base
Where the frown on my face disappears
Take me back to my boat on the river
And I won't cry out anymore

Oh the river is wide
The river it touches my life like the waves on the sand
And all roads lead to Tranquillity Base
Where the frown on my face disappears
Take me back to my boat on the river
And I won't cry out anymore
And I won't cry out anymore
And I won't cry out anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment