Friday 27 August 2010

Snowdonia (III)

Those that know me, know that three of my leisure pursuits are country drives, football, and hill walking. I managed to find time to enulge in all three whilst away.

After visiting Criccieth Castle, and before dropping back down to Barmouth, I managed to detour onto the Llyn Peninsular for a scenic drive. Well it would have been if the clouds were not down below the hills! I enjoyed it anyway, but to quote my eldest son "misty, misty, boring, misty!"

The football was an Welsh Alliance match between Barmouth & Dyffren United and Llanwrst United. It ended all square at one all. Not a pretty game by any stretch of the imagination, but the scenery was.

We took a family walk up the mountain opposite the guest house to find Blue Lake. This is an old quarry lake, reached via a small cave. It is a bowl like area surrounded on all sides by steep cliffs. A very quiet and awe inspiring place.

The other walk I did, whilst the others were relaxing on Barmouth beach. From the town centre there are paths straight up the mountains above, which go onto a range that runs for twenty or so miles north. The first area of land given to the National Trust is one of those smaller hills. A half hour walk on will take you to Panorama Hill. This is my favourite spot in the country, and I go there as often as I can. The views are out to sea, or up the Mawddach and aover to Cadair Idris.

No comments:

Post a Comment