Monday 17 November 2008

A Life Defined By Music - Bohemian Rhapsody

Probably the next significant period in my life as defined by music, was the advent of winter in 1975. By now I was 13, and was just completing my first term at the local grammar school. I had been brought up to try to do your best at everything. I was eager to learn all these new subjects that were offered. I was finding out, however, that if you do well at school, you become a target for the bullies. Life was becoming a pain, both literally and metaphorically. With hindsight, the way I reacted then was not the best career move I could have made, but more of that next time.

As mentioned in Crazy Horses, to me the music scene at the time was pretty uninspiring, but out of this came a track that still blows me away today. From amongst the ordinary, came the extraordinary. The constant change of musical style and pace in this track to me was revolutionary. It had everything from opera to heavy rock, all in one song. It even had an accompanying video, nearly unheard of at the time. For many years, this track was my all time favourite, in my fantasy top ten, (since replaced by Freebird, but that's another story, that does not even make this mini series!).

To me this song brings back a sense of escapism from the times at school, it also defined me at the time. As I said, the track has several different styles within it, it could also be said that my life at the time had several different aspects to it. Some of which would appear to be at diverse odds, the same as opera and heavy rock, but all of which fused together somehow to be me at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment