Thursday 22 May 2008

Locality or Success

This item was originally written in July 2007, but after last nights Champions League final, it seems even more relevent. Do not get me wrong I have nothing against teams like Manchester United or Chelsea as such. In the playground yesterday, I overheard a conversation between two mums. One of whom said she had to let her son (11 at most) stay up to watch the final as he was a massive United fan, has all the replica kits and the rest. When I sarcilly said whats wrong with Cheltenham Town then, looked at as if on different planet! My son was brave enough to admit to his friends that he supports both Slough Town and Bishops Cleeve, he was laughed at and told that's not proper football. At least he has been to games to see his teams, and knows where to find them on a map. He chose to follow Slough, I was actually trying to disuade him, as they are Not his local team. If as looks likely they will meet next season, he would prefer Cleeve to win, which is fine as they Are his local team. Peer pressure for street cred and the media darlings circus is robbing kids of the chance to keep local football alive.


Locality or Success

Saturday, July 14, 2007 at 6:10pm
What is it with kids, and grown men, who have to follow the top footy team of their day? Everywhere there are Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc. Why? I know from when I was growing up, that after one dodgy season or two they will drop "their" team and follow the next big thing. Most don't even know where the town of thier team is! Ok around here there are a few Cheltenham Town shirts, but nationwide this is not usually the case. I know I'm given stick for it, but my team is Slough Town through better or worse. Given the last few years - very wose, now lowest level in their history. But they are my home team, and I still get there on occasions. Also now visit Cleeve as only 10 mins up lanes, again not the easy glamerous option. I accept that some follow the team followed by their Dad, or where there is a strong family tie, but come on how many in south and west England have ties to Manchester, to name one. My best friend from back home (now in USA) even follows Leeds and has done since we were kids. Was about to say why? but suppose even they had success then. Lower level teams have a hard enough time surviving without the local potential support favouring glamour. The harder option is often the cheaper and more fun, try it sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment