Monday 26 January 2009

Wishing Well

It once seemed to me that wishing wells were everywhere, it is only on reflection years later that I realised that most are where gullible tourists are likely to be. The one that sticks in my mind, is just off the main road from Eton Bridge up to Windsor Castle, it was always full of loose change. Others that I vaguely recall were set in a mock up of fairy glades, castles, ruins, and the like. Why?

There are also traditional habits associated with wishing, such as when you blow out the candles on a birthday cake, or give the Christmas pudding mix a stir, you are told to make a wish. Why?

I do not know the answer to these questions, but I assume that people hope that good things will happen to them, and that a positive wish might enhance their prospects. Though why you should have to throw money into a wishing well to get good luck is beyond me.

Another form of wishing well in my view is the reliance of some on their stars. Here I am no knocking the wisdom of astronomers, or even some astrologers. It is my believe that most, if not all, of the stars in the papers are made up rubbish written by so called astrologers, who are just new age influenced "journalists".

It is good to have wishes and aspirations, and God encourages us to have them. It is also good to take our wishes to Him. I believe that there is more chance of my wishes coming true, if I pray into them and discuss them with God, than if I throw some money into a wishing well. God wants what is best for my life. My wishes may not come to fruition, sometimes we wish for what might not actually be best for us.

I also believe that a lot of people may wish the general wish of love in a peaceful world, but do not expect it to happen, as it appears too big. Nothing is too big for God, though human nature may cause a stumbling block here. If everyone tried just a little bit harder to get on with other people, this may not be a totally unrealistic aim.

I think the key is to trust God with our wishes. I know quite a few people who at the moment are "happy" to chase the wishing wells, star signs, tarot cards and the like for answers, but are still not content. As the song says the only time you are satisfied is with your feet in the wishing well. That to me will never satisfy, my satisfaction is to be found at the feet of Jesus, who died so I might live.

The song Wishing Well was first performed by Free in the late 1960's. The version that follows is by Bad Company, led by Paul Rodgers, with guest guitarist Slash. The Styx connection is that they did an album of cover versions, Big Bang Theory, which included this song.

Wishing Well

Take off your hat, kick off your shoes.
I know you not goin' anywhere.
Running around town singin' your blues.
You know you ain't goin' anywhere.

You've always been a good friend of mine,
But just keep saying farewell.
And the only time that you're satisfied,
Is with your feet in the wishing well.

Throw down your gun, you might shoot yourself.
Or is that what you're tryin' to do?
Put up a fight you believe to be right,
And one day the sun will shine through.

You've always got somethin' to hide.
Somethin' you just can't tell.
And the only time that you're satisfied,
is with your feet in the wishing well.

But I know what you're wishing for.
Love in a peaceful world.
Love in a peaceful world.
Love in a peaceful world.
Love in a peaceful world.

You've always been a good friend of mine,
But you keep saying farewell.
And the only time that you're satisfied,
Is with your feet in the wishing well.

In the wishing well.
In the wishing well.

Everybody's got a dream and they take it to the wishing well.
Everybody's got a dream, hah.
Wishing well.

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with wishing wells. I can never find one with chip & pin.

    ReplyDelete