Tuesday 23 December 2008

A Life Defined By Music - Run To The Hills

Let's get this straight, I do not even like Iron Maiden, but sometimes you have to endure what you do not like for the greater good, but more of that later.

Following on from the Brothers in Arms post, life plodded on rather automatically for a few years. I started a relationship with a girl, which with hindsight was never going to go anywhere, but was fun at the time. My Grandfather died in 1987, and after a long illness my Grandmother in 1988, both never got over the loss of their son, my Dad.

The Church that I attended at the time had a history of putting on pantomimes in the new year, and for some odd reason, I was a regular cast member, as was Phil. In 1988 someone dropped out at the last minute, and was replaced by a very attractive young rock chick looking girl! As I've said, I was going out with someone at the time, but she took my breath away at first sight. I assumed she was out of my league, and was not going to do anything about it, till Phil said he liked her too and was going to ask her out. Why we are still mates is beyond me, as that was my cue to offer her a lift home after rehearsal that night. She says she only agreed as the heel of her boot was broken! I asked her out and the rest is history!

I could not believe that someone that lovely would be interested in me, so I took a while to call off the other relationship, as I was convinced this one would not take off, and was hedging my bets. She was planning on going to the Monsters of Rock Festival at Donnington with some friends from college, so I quickly offered to take her, before anyone else had the chance to. Iron Maiden were headlining, who I still do not really like, but can listen to bits of. The festival was an experience, good showmanship, very loud, and for the most part enjoyable, though I was aware of the possibility of hassle as the darkness drew in. The main recollection is of stopping at Leicester Fosse Service Station on the M1 at one in the morning for breakfast, and it being packed out with others who had the same idea.

In the spring of this year, we were walking by a disused church on the banks of the River Thames. The grass was damp from recent rain. I said something along the lines of "If it wasn't so wet, I might be stupid enough to go down on my knee and ask you to marry me". To which she replied "If you did, I might be stupid enough to say yes". We got married the next February!

She does not like to have her photo taken at all, so most of those I have are taken without her knowing. My favourite image from that time, is of her having climbed up a fallen over tree by Virginia Water, whilst wearing jeans and a Motorhead tshirt, and with what I call a rock chick hair style.

I had to choose an Iron Maiden track for this post, and Run to the Hills is my favourite track by them, whether they played it at Donnington or not I have no idea. This version is from a live show in Sweden in 2005.

1 comment:

  1. Beats me too, pal! But it's kinda ironic, both that that same concert brought you and Megan together (stretching a point a bit, I know) and, indirectly, Sharon and me (We first got together coz she wanted to come too as a lead in to get to talk to me, I think), but also that you should choose Iron Maiden as the song to celebrate your union with Megan. Give her my best regards, btw.
    Anyway, to kind of echo your sentiments in your last post, and as I know you don't like Maiden all that much, but I about worship them, here they are again, with "Blood Brothers."
    It is appropriate for two reasons: one, we are indeed, blood brothers, but also, well, here's Bruce Dickinson explaining what the song is about:

    "'Blood Brothers' is a little masterpiece that's Steve's song 100 per cent. In singing it I can tell you what I think it's about. It's about Steve's relationship with his father who died; it's a very personal song so this song is about Steve and his father being blood brothers, like, forever the lines go. 'Just for a second a glimpse of my father I see, and in a movement he beckons to me, and in a moment the memories are all that remain, and all the wounds are reopening again, we're blood brothers'. So it's kind of bitter sweet and very loving and at the same time very melancholic. It's a lot of very, very mixed emotions and musically there's a few Celtic nods."

    So this one's for you, my friend. Enjoy

    Blood Brothers

    ReplyDelete