Wednesday 23 July 2008

Cornerstone

This is the name of the very first Styx album that I bought. Got it on the strength of the song Babe, which I now detest as total slush!

What is a cornerstone? The dictionary says "one in projecting angle of wall, foundation stone, indispensable part, basis". As a Christian I believe that Jesus is the cornerstone of my life, but from the dictionary definition what else could be, or should be, part of my cornerstone?

If you have read any of my previous posts, you will know that I have been helped in a big way by the Hungry for God nights at Trinity. Last night, however, I chose to miss one to go out for a few beers and a curry with a good friend of mine. On reflection, I feel I was "fed" during this evening, as much as I would have been if I had gone to Trinity, if not more. I was obviously fed in the physical sense, and the curry was top rate. I was also fed in a spiritual sense as well. Not with the obvious and generous out pouring of God's Spirit, one might expect in a Hungry night, but nevertheless God was there.

This was not an evangelistic opportunity to me, this was just two good friends having a chat and a meal. I believe God was involved in our conversations even though He was not specifically mentioned.

I believe that the main purpose behind the outpouring of God's Spirit at the Hungry nights, is to equip the Church for mission, in it's widest sense. If I can try to reflect God's love for other people over a meal and a chat, then friendship must also be a cornerstone of my faith.

I am asking God to show me what other everyday events should in fact be cornerstones, rather than just happenings. Cornerstones are foundations and indispensable, so need maintenance to keep in good strength. God is the builder and master craftsman who will repair my crumbling foundations, I should then be able to use these foundations to good effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment