Wednesday 16 July 2008

Soldiers Under Command

Some astute person will probably work out that this is not a song performed by Styx, but by Stryper, those of the Christian power rock songs of the 80's. The band are still going apparently, although lead singer Michael Sweet is currently on loan to Boston.

For a few months now this song has been buzzing around in my head, which is strange as as far as I can remember I last played the album years ago. I even attempted to lead a small group discussion on both this and Makes Me Wanna Sing. I have a tendency to try to include rock music in discussions that I lead.

I think the reason for the recall is becoming clearer. At the last Hungry for God night at Trinity, the lead pastor shared that he felt that God was raising an army to fight for Him. As he mentioned this, the song came straight back into my head, even though other music was being played at the time. He also thought that God may be allowing some stuff to happen to us to prepare us for the battle. This makes perfect sense to me. A soldier needs to be ready. You can read all the books about warfare, or the manuals on how to use a gun, but it is only when you try to do it, that you find out if you are ready for the task. That is why the army have mock up battles, to test soldiers under as realistic conditions as possible.

I certainly feel that God is preparing me for something, I would love to know what though. Stupid stuff is happening which is effecting me when it shouldn't. Tiredness is quite often all consuming. I can see these as minor mock up skirmishes to test my readiness. In reality I feel I need loads more training, both mentally and physically to be ready, but if you look at the world stage it looks like the battle is starting. As someone once said, on the job training is the best there is.

I believe that in the end God will triumph, and with a degree of trepidation I want to be a Soldier Under His Command.


Soldiers Under Command

We are the soldiers under God's command
We hold His two-edged sword within our hands
We're not ashamed to stand up for what's right
We win without sin, it's not by our might
And we're fighting all the sin
And the good book -- it says we'll win!

Soldiers, Soldiers, under command
Soldiers, Soldiers, fighting the Lords battle plan

Are you a soldier under God's command
Help fight the good fight, join us while you can
The battle that's waiting is fought so easily
Through Him, without sin there is victory
And we're fighting all the sin
And the good book -- it says we'll win!

No comments:

Post a Comment