Tuesday 1 July 2008

I Can See For Miles

Last Saturday, I took myself off on one of my day trips to North Wales. The 170 mile trip from here to Barmouth was fine, apart from being stuck behind an old ditherer for the best part of 30 miles on a windy road, though I did not get annoyed as I usually do by this. Barmouth is a place you either love or hate. I love the fact it's on an estuary, got a great sandy beach, traditional harbour, and just behind it are the southern Snowdonia hills. In fact the very first bit of land given to the National Trust was there. My "excuse" forgoing this time, was to see the start of the three peaks yacht race. Sail from Barmouth to Caernarvon run up Snowdon, sail to Whitehaven, cycle and run up Scarfell Pike, sail to Fort William and run up Ben Nevis.

I went for a walk over the hills, to a place known as Panorama Hill. The views from here are outstanding. Look west out to sea over the estuary, and the rail bridge that crosses it. Look east up the estuary and it's valley, look north over the mountains, look south over the estuary to the Cadair Idris range of mountains. This is without doubt my favourite spot in the world, and I often take myself there for a brief period of resting in the awesomeness of it all. Up there you can really see for miles and miles on a clear day, even when it is overcast it still is spectacular.

I left Barmouth about half six, to drive over to Rhostyllen, an ex mining village just outside of Wrexham. This is a trip of another 60 miles. Here I met up with some friends of ours, who my wife met 20 years ago at college. I had a pleasant evening of drinking one pint of decent beer, then J20's, whilst on a trip round three of the village's watering holes. Despite only knowing two out of a group of people numbering about a dozen, I was made to feel welcome and included.

About 11.45 headed back home, a further 120 miles, slightly longer this time as M6/M5 junction southbound closed for road works.

Although a very long day, it was definitely worth it. On reflection, I think I have been given some insights from the day as well. The acceptance by my fellow drinkers in Rhostyllen, showed the way we should all be accepting of the stranger in our midst. I also think that the views from Panorama Hill showed me two things. Firstly that from a peak you can see a large picture, there are lots of different things catching your eye eg fields, rivers, cottages, mountains and the like. All of these different things are needed to make up the big picture. Sometimes when we are in our small bit at ground level, the big picture is not visible, and as such we can not see how different things/people link together to make a masterpiece. In the same way, this view would not be complete without the valley and the peaks. Our lives go through both peaks and valleys, but God is at work in both. On the peaks we are refreshed by the mountain dew and rain, and hopefully can see our fellow travellers in the valleys, and offer them whatever aid we can. In the valley, there is a large incoming tide up the estuary from the sea, which eventually covers the whole area. God's love is like the incoming tide, and will reach everywhere in the end.

I'm glad I can go there, and on most visits God speaks to me, even though that is not the purpose of the trip! This time I could see for miles and miles, and I think I am beginning to appreciate why. I have been greatly encouraged by the whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment